Wednesday, April 3, 2013

April 3: Poets and Beer

So, after I'm done teaching this evening, before I humiliate myself at choir practice, I'm meeting a poet friend for a drink.  He's a colleague from the university, and we haven't gotten together since early January.  Actually, I haven't seen him since early January, either.

I don't know what it is about poets, but, when they get together, there always seems to be beer involved, among other mind-altering substances.  It may be traced back to alcoholic poets like Dylan Thomas.  (I'm sure Frost and Wordsworth and Blake were closet drinkers, as well.)  I'm looking forward to seeing my friend.  He's one of my favorite people in the world, but our schedules rarely allow for us gathering at the pub and lifting a pint.  Actually, I hate beer, so I may be simply drinking Diet Coke.  It's a little too early for anything stronger.

Anyway, Saint Marty's evening has just gotten a little happier.

Jack Daniels and Poetry

No comments:

Post a Comment