Thursday, April 4, 2013

April 4: Jaws is Stranger than Fiction

I have a dilemma.

Because so many class days were cancelled at the university because of snow this semester, I can't show all of the movies I originally intended for my Intro to Film class.  After Brokeback Mountain, I have Will Ferrell's Stranger than Fiction on the syllabus.  Before spring break, I told my students we weren't going to view Jaws.  Now, I'm reconsidering that decision.

The majority of my students were disappointed that I'd chosen to eliminate Jaws.  One guy tried to talk me into getting rid of Brokeback Mountain instead.  Hardly anyone is looking forward to Stranger than Fiction.  My dilemma is whether I give into popular pressure and show Jaws, thereby insuring more positive student evaluations at the end of the term, or stick to my original plan and screen Will Ferrell next week, incurring wrath and recrimination from my students, not to mention some shitty evaluations.

If I was a purist, I wouldn't cave in.  I'd tell my classes that Stranger than Fiction is a more interesting film, exploring ideas of comedy versus tragedy, a life of quiet desperation.  However, Jaws is a kick-ass movie, taking on the themes of man versus nature, Captain Ahab versus Moby Dick.  I'm completely at a loss.

I think what I'm going to do is bring both films to class next week.  It will depend upon my mood and chocolate intake as to whether the last film of the class will feature Bruce the shark or Will the tax man.

In the mean time, Saint Marty will be up on Brokeback Mountain, tending the sheep.  (Do no read anything into that statement.  No subtext is included.)

This...
or...

this?

No comments:

Post a Comment