Friday, May 17, 2013

May 17: Lost Remote, Saint Anthony's Help, Paul Muldoon, "Cradle Song for Asher"

Bet you thought you weren't going to hear from me again today.  Well, you were wrong.  I've had a very busy afternoon and evening.  Lots of cleaning.  Lots of errands.  I went for a run.  And I just spent an hour and a half searching for the remote to my DVD player.  I went through a garbage bag that was stuffed with rotten banana peels and strawberry tops.  No to mention two bottles of empty corn syrup and a whole bunch of sticky paper towels and magazines.  It sucked, and I still didn't find my remote.

I need to give this one up to Saint Anthony, the patron saint of lost things.  I've already said a prayer to him, and I'm waiting for an answer.  I need to still myself--my mind and body.  Then I will find that friggin' remote.

In the mean time, I'm going to turn to poetry.  To be specific, I'm turning to Paul Muldoon, winner for the Pulitzer Prize for his collection of poems Moy Sand and Gravel.  I found a little poem in that book that brought peace to my remote-obsessed mind.

Saint Marty hopes it brings you a little peace tonight, as well.

Cradle Song for Asher

When they cut your birth cord yesterday
it was I who drifted away.

Now I hear your name (in Hebrew, "blest")
as yet another release of ballast

and see, beyond your wicker
gondola, campfires, cities, whole continents flicker.

Help me find that damn remote!

No comments:

Post a Comment