Monday, July 29, 2013

July 29: What's Important, Another Disappointment, Magic 8-Ball Monday

I'm trying to remember what's important today.

I went for a run this afternoon.  Felt great.  I went swimming with my wife and kids after my run.  Great time.  I met with a good friend this evening to talk about church music.  Lovely visit.  Now, I'm sitting in my living room, watching Get Out Alive with my wife.  She loves the show.  I find it a little disgusting.  I don't like watching people drink their own urine.  Not my thing.  However, I love being with my family.

That's what's really important.  At the end of my life, I'm not going to wish I'd worked more hours, earned more money, published more poems.  It's going to be about how much I've hugged my son, kissed my daughter.  It's going to be about how much I've loved my wife.

I've experienced another disappointment today.  It involves a publishing opportunity that didn't happen for me.  I thought I stood a pretty good chance this time.  Of course, I failed.  A little too self-assured.  I'm trying to tell myself it's not important.  What I did this afternoon with my family, that's important.

It is Magic 8-Ball Monday.  My question is pretty simple:

Am I going to get some good news soon?

And the answer from Holden is:

...What I really felt like, though, was committing suicide.  I felt like jumping out the window...

I'm trying to find some silver-lining in that answer.  Suicide.  Jumping out the window.  Not finding too much positive in that.

Oh, well, looks like good news ain't in Saint Marty's future any time soon.

Good advice

No comments:

Post a Comment