Thursday, August 15, 2013

Agust 14 Make-Up: Same Meal, Steak, Blessing Versus Worry

We always had the same meal on Saturday nights at Pencey.  It was supposed to be a big deal, because they gave you steak.  I'll bet a thousand bucks the reason they did that was because a lot of guys' parents came up to school on Sunday, and old Thurman probably figured everybody's mother would ask their darling boy what he had for dinner last night, and he's say, "Steak."

For most of Catcher, Holden is complaining.  He complains about Ackley and Stradlater, his suite mates at school.  He complains about Ernie's piano playing at the nightclub.  He complains about movies and the Radio City Christmas show.  And he complains about food.

Usually, Wednesdays are my days to complain and worry on my blog.  I'm not going to do that today.  I sort of took care of that task yesterday.  Today, I'm going to write about blessings.  To be more specific, I'm going to write about food blessings, because I'm really hungry.

I'm a lucky guy when it comes to food.  I can afford to buy it.  Not only can I afford to buy groceries, but also I can afford to buy groceries I like.  Last night, I ate a Hostess cupcake.  This morning, I'm going to have a cheese omelet for breakfast.  There are so many people in this world who don't know where their next meal is coming from.  I am not one of those people.  I live in abundance, and that's what I want to celebrate today.

It's so easy to take things for granted.  Clean water.  Warm clothes.  Four walls and a roof.  A job.  Even a crappy job.  And food.  Bread.  Eggs.  Milk.  Apples.  Parmesan artichoke dip.  Fried rice.  Blueberry muffins.  (Like I said, I'm hungry.)

I'm not going to take food for granted today.  I know I'm blessed, and that's my point.

Saint Marty can have steak this Saturday night if he wants to.  Or tonight.  Not prime rib or fillet Mignon. but he can have steak.

Rare or well done?

No comments:

Post a Comment