Saturday, December 28, 2013

December 28: A Job Somewhere, Organist for Hire, New Cartoon

"...We'll stay in these cabin camps and stuff like that till the dough runs out.  Then, when the dough runs out, I could get a job somewhere and we could live somewhere with a brook and all and, later on, we could get married or something..."

Holden has a lot of plans for his future.  Most involve running away, living in some remote wilderness, and, eventually, getting married and acquiring a job.  You can tell he's a teenager.  He's full of the kind of optimism that a person who has been part of the work world for any length of time simply doesn't have any more.

I will soon be looking for work.  I need to find a church that needs a pipe organist because, as of January 1, I will no longer have a job at my current church.  It all boils down to the fact that people don't want to pay artists what they're worth.  I have over 25 years of experience as a church accompanist and musician.  I've earned a Master's in fiction writing and a Master of Fine Arts in poetry writing.  I've been a worship leader/planner at a couple of churches going back almost 15 years.

And yet I find myself unemployed.

I'm a little nervous about the whole job search process.  I haven't had to do it for a long time.  Until this year, I thought I was pretty secure in my employment situation.  Of course, I have learned there's no such thing as security.  All it takes is some accountants revising a budget, and suddenly I'm out of work.

I'm supposed to trust that God has a plan for my life.  That's all part of faith.  I'm supposed to know God has my back.

Saint Marty just hopes God's plan doesn't include foreclosure or bankruptcy or soup kitchens.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment