Wednesday, March 5, 2014

March 5: Gratitude Number One

This post is the first in my Lenten series on gratitude.  Each day, from Ash Wednesday (today) until Easter, I will be writing about gratitude.  No matter how difficult things get in the next 47 days, I will find something to be grateful for each and every 24 hours.

Today, it's easy.  My wife and I have enough money to get the brakes on her car repaired.  On Friday, we will drop off her car at the garage, and, when we pick it up, it will be completely fixed.  Thanks to the generosity of some very kind people.

It's difficult for me to accept these kinds of gifts.  I think it's because I feel like I've failed in some way by not being able to take care of this problem myself.  It's humbling, and maybe that's the point.  I needed a lesson in humility.  I needed to be reminded that I can't do it all alone.  I'm not in charge.

And now, I'm receiving a lesson in gratitude.  I give thanks for the good, decent individuals who saw our need and decided to lend a hand.  That is an amazing thing.

Saint Marty hopes he can pay it forward some day.

Sir James hits the nail right on the head

No comments:

Post a Comment