Monday, June 2, 2014

June 2: Earth Moving

I'm in my office at the university, staring out my window at some fast-moving clouds.  It's a strange scene, because the trees are perfectly motionless.  Not a leaf or needle is quivering,  Yet, the clouds are roaring through the blue sky.

It almost makes me sense the rotation of the planet.  As if the clouds are stationary and what I'm seeing is Earth spinning at 1,000 miles per hour.  Yes, as we walk down the street, sleep in our beds, eat ice cream, this little rock on which we live is moving faster than sound, which travels at a speed of around 767 mph.  Pretty startling.

It almost makes me believe that if I step outside, I may go spinning off into the cosmos.  Become a human asteroid.

The last time Saint Marty felt like that was in college, and it involved quite a lot of peppermint schnapps and pot.

 Do you want to make an asteroid of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment