Thursday, June 26, 2014

June 26: Book Club and John Smolens

I'm very tired.  But happy.  I will get back to my normal programming tomorrow.  Tonight, I have just enough energy to say that John Smolens is probably the coolest gentleman I know.

My book club descended on my house tonight.  Artichoke dip.  Pizza.  Chicken wings.  Chickpea salad.  And John Smolens' novel Winter by Degrees.  John, my colleague from the university's English Department, joined us for the evening.  We talked about first novels (WBD was his first published book) and writing and inspirations and character development.

John has always been a good friend, and he's always treated me as an equal.  A fellow writer and teacher.  He makes me feel good about myself.  John is retiring from the university.  Several English professors of a certain vintage were made retirement offers they couldn't refuse, and John was one of them.  The Department is going to be a much less interesting place next year.

Saint Marty is going to miss his friend.

A really good guy and writer

No comments:

Post a Comment