Thursday, June 5, 2014

June 5: A Beer and Sorrows

Tonight, I did something I haven't done in quite a few years.  I went out after work and had a beer.

I'm not a beer drinker.  Never acquired a taste for it.  However, the establishment at which I decided to drown my sorrows did not serve anything but beers.  So I drank beer.  A dark ale, to be specific.  And it was quite good.

No, I didn't drink alone.  I met some friends from the English Department.  We sat outside, drank, and laughed.  For the hour or so I was there, I sort of forgot to be pissed or depressed.  I drank, ate some pretzels, and pretended that I belonged in this gathering of full-time English professors.  I almost believed it, too.  The alcohol had a lot to do with that.

Yes, I am still angry and sad tonight.  I still feel a little trapped by life.  This isn't a mid-life crisis, either.  I'm not thinking about buying a Harley or anything.  Couldn't afford the son of a bitch.  But my emotions are muted for the moment.

Saint Marty may be able to sleep tonight.

Did somebody say beer?

No comments:

Post a Comment