Monday, July 28, 2014

July 28: The Countdown, Vacation, "Web" Dip

The countdown has begun.  In five days, my vacation will begin.  At 5 p.m. on Friday, I will be free for a glorious nine days.  That may not sound like much, but I only take two weeks off a year.  The first week of January.  The first week of August.  No phones to answer.  No classes to teach.  Nobody telling me what I have to do.

As a kid, I remember the two weeks my family used to spend at a camp in the middle of the woods in Gay, Michigan.  No electricity.  Pit toilet.  Sauna.  At night, we could hear the surf of Lake Superior in the dark.  It was a rustic experience, something I try to avoid as an adult.  But, for a really young boy, it was like vacationing at Hogwarts (even though Harry Potter wouldn't come into existence for about 20 more years).  We were all witches and wizards in Hagrid's hut by the Forbidden Forest.  (OK, I'm not going to push that comparison any further.)

As an adult, I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most is reading a book that a friend of mine recently published.  I know that doesn't sound exciting, but I don't usually get to do much pleasure reading.  This book will be 320 pages of pleasure.

My question this Web dip Monday is,

Will I have a good vacation?

And the answer from the pig is,

"Everybody in!" called Mr. Arable.  He started the motor.  The ladies climbed in beside him.  Mr. Zuckerman and Lurvy and Fern and Avery rode in back, hanging onto the sideboards.  The truck began to move ahead.  The geese cheered.  The children answered their cheer, and away went everybody to the Fair.

Well, that's sounds promising.  Cheering geese and children.  The excitement of the Fair.  Ferris wheels and corn dogs.  That's pretty much a summer paradise.


Saint Marty's going to have a really good vacation.  Four more days.

Maybe I should get a new swimsuit

No comments:

Post a Comment