Tuesday, July 29, 2014

July 29: The Writing, Some Pig, Prayer for Guidance

Zuckerman stared at the writing on the web.  Then he murmured the words "Some Pig."  Then he looked at Lurvy.  Then they both began to tremble.  Charlotte, sleepy after her night's exertions, smiled as she watched.  Wilbur came and stood directly under the web.

Charlotte easily fools Zuckerman and Lurvy with her writing.  Neither pay attention to her.  Wilbur, standing underneath Charlotte's "miracle," becomes the star of the farm.  Nobody pays attention to the little gray spider sitting in the corner of the web.  Wilbur's life is saved by language.

I think that's a wonderful metaphor for successful writing.  If a poem or short story or essay is really good, the writer fades into the background, and the reader is absorbed into the miracle of the words.  I feel this often with my favorite writers and books.  The first time I read The Cloister Walk by Kathleen Norris.  Mr. Ives' Christmas by Oscar Hijuelos.  Satan Says by Sharon Olds.  I could go on.  Each of these books were little miracles to me.  Good writing that became a part of my DNA in a way.

I've had an idea for a new book I want to write.  I've had the idea for quite some time.  It's a book that I would want to read.  I'm not sure if anybody else would be interested in it.  It's a strange notion, but I simply can't seem to shake it.  That tells me that it's something I need to pursue.  I need to spin this web, so to speak.

Thus, my prayer tonight is for guidance.  I need help with my idea.  Help getting started.  Help writing.  I want to have fun with this book.  I want it to be a somewhat joyful experience.  I'm not asking for prayers for myself.  That would be hubris.  And there are a lot more important issues in the world in need of prayer.  The Middle East.  Liberia.  The Ukraine.  Pick one and pray.

I'm simply looking for a little miracle in my life, something that makes me step back in wonder.

Saint Marty wants to see SOME PIG.

I'm looking for a coincidence

No comments:

Post a Comment