Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Septmber 2: A Quick Poem, Gerard Manley Hopkins, "Heaven-Haven"

OK, it's late, and I have a very long day tomorrow.  Work.  Teaching.  I'm going to be going from 5 a.m. until 10 p.m.  I need to get to bed.

I have a short poem from Gerard Manley Hopkins tonight.  An early poem, too.  Yet, I think it contains the kernel of everything that makes Hopkins great.  Spirituality.  Linguistic surprise.  And a great deal of beauty.

Saint Marty is tired.  Still a little sick.  Ready for this day to be over.

Heaven-Haven

by:  Gerard Manley Hopkins

A nun takes the veil

     I have desired to go
          Where springs not fail,
To fields where flies no sharp and sided hail
     And a few lilies blow.

     And I have asked to be
          Where no storms come,
Where the green swell is in the havens dumb,
     And out of the swing of the sea.

The swing of the sea...

No comments:

Post a Comment