Monday, October 27, 2014

October 27: Caring God, Worry, "Web" Dip

I'm sitting in church right now, listening to a deacon speak about the sacrament of baptism.  We've talked about water and grace.  The church's stained glass windows are dark now.  The sun has set, and shadows are sitting in the pews at the back of the sanctuary.  I can smell the wax of the votives melting under the flickering flames.

The deacon just used the term "caring God," as in "our God is a caring God."  A God who dispenses mercy and love.  There used to be a belief that, if a person wasn't baptized, that person would never know salvation.  That belief would exclude all non-Christians from heaven.  Jews.  Muslims.  Buddhists.  All going south for eternity.

That's not part of the Catholic faith any more.  The catechism teaches that people who lead good lives--Godly lives--will be saved.  The deacon just said, "We are bound by the sacraments.  God isn't."  So, if you're a good person and an atheist (or gay or Rastafarian or a member of the Tea Party), you are still a cherished child of God.

I find a lot of comfort in that tonight.  I worry so much.  I worry about my son.  About paying the mortgage.  The mid-term elections.  My daughter having a boyfriend.  My wife's bipolar disorder.  My car's transmission.  Basically, from morning 'til night, I worry.  I need a caring God.

My biggest worry tonight:

Will I get my midterm exams graded by Wednesday?

And the answer from the world wide Web:

"Hurray!" cried everybody.

"Thank you very much," said Charlotte...

Saint Marty will take that as a "you betcha."  That's Yooper for "yes."

 
God even cares about her

No comments:

Post a Comment