Thursday, November 13, 2014

November 13: Good-bye, a Friend, Bad News

"Good-bye!" [Charlotte] whispered.  Then she summoned all her strength and waved one of her front legs at him.

Reading Charlotte's Web as a child was one of my first experiences with death.  The sentence above sent me into paroxysms of grief.  It really felt as if I had lost a family member.  The book itself has taught generations of children the hard lessons of life and love and friendship and loss.

I just found out an hour ago that Dave, a friend of mine who has been battling pancreatic cancer for a couple of years, passed away.  While I can't say that the news was a surprise, it certainly took the wind out of my sails.  I played in a band with Dave.  He gave my daughter piano lessons.  One summer, when the original drummer bailed on me, Dave showed up at the last minute to play the drums for a performance of the musical Nunsense which I directed.

In short, Dave has always been a generous, wonderful blessing in my life.  Musically, I've never met anyone like him.  He could play any instrument you put in his hand, from a mandolin to a flute.  He could play jazz, blues, classical, big band, church hymns.  Everything.  And he did it with humility.  He wasn't showy, despite all his talent.

I will miss Dave.  I'll miss the looks he gave me when I played wrong notes during a song.  I'll miss his lectures on chord progressions and transposition.  I'll miss his humor, when he would play "Amazing Grace" and segue seamlessly into "King of the Road."  He made music fun, and he made worship a joy.

Good-bye, my friend.

Saint Marty's heart is a little heartbroken tonight.

Gone too soon

No comments:

Post a Comment