Thursday, December 11, 2014

December 11: Clown in a Ring, Son's Christmas Program, Good Day

But the crowd loved it.  Avery heard nothing but the applause.  He liked being a clown in a ring, with everybody watching, in front of a grandstand.  When he discovered there was still a little water left in the bottom of the pail, he raised the pail high in the air and dumped the water on himself and made faces.  The children in the grandstand screamed with appreciation.

Avery, as I've said before, is a typical little boy.  He loves getting dirty, playing with frogs, collecting bugs.  And he loves being the center of attention.  Any opportunity that arises, Avery will try to grab the spotlight, even at Wilbur's award ceremony.


My son isn't quite as bad as Avery.  My son gets shy in front of large crowds.  I don't know where he gets it from.  I am not a shy person.  Neither is my wife.  In fact, we met in the theater.  I was directing a production of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and my wife auditioned.  We love being onstage.  I love giving poetry readings, being in the front of a classroom.  These are a few of my favorite things, to quote The Sound of Music.

Today was my son's Christmas program at school.  We spent the morning in a crowded gymnasium, packed into seats that were designed for residents of Munchkinland.  The music was too soft.  The kids sang off-key.  Some kids yawned in the middle of songs (my son included).  Some kids started crying when they saw all the people in the audience.  And that many people in close quarters tend to exude a communal aroma that can be a little nauseating.

It was a great morning.

I didn't have to go to work.  I was able to clean my house, send some e-mails, and listen to Christmas music.  A good day.  Tonight, I may actually be able to relax a little bit.  No grading.  No sweeping or vacuuming.  No pressing writing projects.  Maybe I'll read something for pleasure.  Take a nap.  Write a poem.

Or maybe Saint Marty will do...absolutely...nothing.

VOTE FOR ME FOR U. P. POET LAUREATE (voting ends December 31):

U. P. Poet Laureate Voting 


Not a big fan of these kinds of clowns...

No comments:

Post a Comment