Saturday, January 31, 2015

January 30: First Month of 2015, Rebecca Schumejda, "Black Banana"

Well, the first month of 2015 is almost over.  In the past month, one of my daughter's friend's was nearly killed in a car accident.  My sister ended up in the hospital with an infection that almost killed her.  It seems like all I've been doing all month is praying for people in dire circumstances.

Sometimes, it's difficult to understand why things happen.  Really good people are beheaded by terrorists.  Young girls sustain horrible injuries.  Republicans gain control of Congress.  Sisters get sicker and sicker.  How do you make sense of stuff like that?  Maybe through poetry.

Saint Marty has another poem from Rattle's "Poets Respond" series.  It's about making sense of a senseless situation.  And it's about bananas.

Black Banana

by:  Rebecca Schumejda

When my daughter wants to know
how someone could leave a baby
in a car all day by accident,
I think about how a few years back
she left a banana
wedged behind her car seat
for an entire week
and we could not
figure out what stunk.
After finding it, I looked up
“black bananas” online,
discovered there is a band
that goes by that name and
mothers who blog about
finding them forgotten
in diaper bags.
I saw images of
black banana hair clips
and big, black cocks.
I felt guilty that I wasn’t
patient enough, loving enough
calm enough to take a mistake
and turn it into a lesson. 
Back then, I yelled at her
as if she had murdered
the banana, Look what you did!
I screamed waving it at her
before throwing it into our backyard.
Now, I am thinking about that banana,
as she waits for my response,
how if somehow
I could peel it,
the answer would be there
like banana bread
just pulled from the oven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment