Sunday, February 8, 2015

February 8: Radio Interview, Classic Saint Marty, New Cartoon

I'm sitting here, watching the Grammy Awards.  My daughter is watching with me, thank goodness.  When I don't know who a singer is, I turn to her and say, "Who's that?"  Then she'll roll her eyes and say the name.  Sam Smith (for the record, I knew who he was).  Ariana Grande.  Iggy Azalea.  Paul McCartney just sang with Kanye and Rihanna.  I'm feeling a little old at the moment.

Tomorrow morning, around eleven, I'm going to be interviewed on the radio.  It's part of the whole wind-up to the announcement of the next U. P. Poet Laureate on March 16.  I'm a little nervous about the interview.  The other nominees are so accomplished, so published.  I'm just hoping I don't come off sounding like an idiot.  I'm going to go with my poems and try to have fun.  I mean, this will probably be one of my last chances to bask in the possibility of being named Poet Laureate before somebody else wins.

So, watching the Grammy Awards is like rehearsing for the moment when the envelope is opened and the current U. P. Poet Laureate says, "And the next U. P. Poet Laureate is . . . not Marty."  I'll just watch Kanye and see what he does when he loses.

Tonight's Classic Saint first aired two years ago. 

February 8, 2012: Heroes, Kids, Mythology



Today, I tried to get my mythology students to talk a little bit about heroes.  We're wrapping up our reading of Ovid's Metamorphoses, and I wanted to get into a discussion of heroes, ancient and contemporary.

"Who are your heroes?" I said.

Blank stares.

"Who do you look up to?"  I said.

Blank stares.

"Why are you in college, studying the subject you're studying?"  I said.  "Who inspired you?"

Blank stares.

"Are you all in college just so you can get a degree and make a lot of money?"  I said.

Blank stares and some nodding.

I stood there staring at these kids. 

Finally, a guy in the back row said, "Isn't that why you're here?"

I thought for a few moments, choosing my words.  "Yes," I finally said, "that's exactly why I choose to be a part-time adjunct instructor in the English Department."  I looked around at each kid in the class.  "I'm in it for the money."  I let that sink in for a couple of seconds.  Then I said, "If the only reason you're here is to get a degree that will get you a job that will allow you to make a great deal of money, I really feel sorry for all of you."

Blank stares.

Saint Marty lost a little hope for the future this afternoon.

Confessions of Saint Marty


No comments:

Post a Comment