Monday, October 5, 2015

October 5: Saint Marty's Day, Poet of the Week, "When They Draw Us," "Ives" Dip, Adventures of Stickman

Happy Saint Marty's Day!

Yes, the day has finally arrived.  Hopefully, all of my disciples have had a chance to celebrate.  Tonight, I'm sure, everyone will be gathering around their Saint Marty's Day trees to share bowls of tapioca and bask in the warm glow of the twinkling lights.  Maybe put on a little Saint Marty's Day music by Judy Garland or Bing Crosby.

I, myself, have had a very nice Saint Marty's Day.  My desk at work was bedecked with signs and banners when I arrived.  Later, I was given a box of Saint Marty's Day candies (chocolates and taffy and truffles).  All of my coworkers stopped by to wish me "Happy Saint Marty's Day!"  Tonight, when I get home, I will relax with a cup of Saint Marty's Day cheer.

On this auspicious day, I am pleased to announce that the Poet of the Week is Eric Torgersen.  I've had his 2012 collection of poems, Heart. Wood., for a while, and I find the fierce simplicity and clarity of his lines hypnotic.  I think you will, too: 

When They Draw Us

by:  Eric Torgersen

When they draw us, the children,
as great beaming sun-faces
balanced on sticks, waving sticks,
can it be that they see us so soon
with a clarity we believe
comes only with age?

They draw us out
of ourselves, our trembling palaces,
into the fragile worlds
they play, dream fear into being,
as if they know even now
we will be going.

A haunting little poem that strikes at the heart of every parent.  Yes, children do seem to grasp the fragility of life at a very young age, I think.  A few weeks ago, my seven-year-old son was listening to songs from one of my CDs.  He looked at me and said, "Umm, Daddy, when you die, can I have this CD?"  That's it.  He knows that I'm not going to be around forever, and he's laying claim to my belongings.  Happy Saint Marty's Day!

In the spirit of the holiday, my Ives dip question deals with one of the most important Saint Marty's Day mysteries:

Will Saint Marty be awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature this year (winner to be announced on October 8 at the Swedish Academy)?

And the answer from Ives this blessed night:

"Please," Ives was saying.  "In good conscience I can't condone it.  No."

Well, I don't think that answer is very clear.  I guess I'll just have to wait until Thursday morning to find out.

Saint Marty, Nobel Laureate.  Just trying it on for size.

Adventures of STICKMAN


No comments:

Post a Comment