Tuesday, December 29, 2015

December 29: Purgatorial Nature, Sickness, Book of the Year, Twlight

And Ives?  For his part, he did not like to be away from her and yet seemed to enjoy his excursions upstate alone, now and then, in the winter.  The harshness and the monasterial nature of the place appealing to his purgatorial side...

Ives is not an easy person to live with after his son's death.  He's melancholy, doesn't want to enjoy himself.  I think he feels a certain guilt in experiencing pleasure.  Ives feels as though he's betraying his son's memory by being happy.  So, he embraces his purgatorial side.  It's all about punishment.

I'm a lot like Ives right now.  I was up at 4 a.m., shoveling snow.  Then I worked all day.  Now, I'm getting ready to put my son to bed after clearing a little more snow with my wife and kids.  I'm also sick.  A cold has slowly been taking hold of my body.  I am now fully possessed by this virus, and I feel like crap.

Therefore, I am crabby, tired, and very impatient.  Not very fun to be around.  Purgatorial, if you will.  I've already had arguments with my wife and daughter.  I have very little energy to be friendly or funny.  I am barely conscious at the moment.

So, I am just going to take care of some business and then call it a night.  You have probably noticed that there is no Poet of the Week.  I was too tired last night, too phlegmy tonight, to even consider candidates.  Therefore, this last week of 2015 will remain Poet of the Week-less.

I have received no votes for next year's book yet.  Therefore, I'm going to add another option:
  • The Road by Cormac McCarthy
  • The Color Purple by Alice Walker
  • Pilgrim at Tinker Creek by Annie Dillard
  • The World According to Garp by John Irving
So, John Irving is new.  Cast your votes now for which book will become the subject of my year-long meditation.  If you don't vote, I will be forced to make the choice myself, and you all might end up reading posts on Twilight for a year.

Saint Marty is ready for his Nyquil.

It's your choice



No comments:

Post a Comment