Saturday, March 26, 2016

March 25: Fecundity, Carl Sagan, Good Friday

I don't know what it is about fecundity that so appalls.  I suppose it is the teeming evidence that birth and growth, which we value, are ubiquitous and blind, that life itself is so astonishingly cheap, that nature is as careless as it is bountiful, and that with extravagance goes a crushing waste that will one day include our own cheap lives, Henle's loops and all.  Every glistening egg is a memento mori.

Fecundity.  Teeming life.  Flocks of birds.  Swarms of bugs.  Forests.  Oceans.  The world is full of extravagance, what Dillard says is a reminder of how "astonishingly cheap" life is.  The universe has been all about expansion ever since the Big Bang (yes, you can be a Christian and believe in the Big Bang--those two beliefs are not mutually exclusive).  Billions and billions of stars and planets, to paraphrase Carl Sagan, rolling out to the edges of time.  Creation is all about fecundity.

Now, I have to admit that I rarely stop to admire all of the universe's extravagances.  I get too wrapped up in my own life.  I spent three hours tonight finishing up the work for the online class I've been taking.  Three hours.  I told my wife that I was putting way too much time doing the homework.  "But I can't help myself," I said.  "I'm a grade whore."  So, instead of enjoying all of God's blessings, I was punching keys on a keyboard.

The good news is that I am done with the class.  I took the final exam this evening and reached 80% on it, which is enough for me to not have to repeat the course, and I am now able to teach my online class this summer.  A blessing.

Today is Good Friday.  Lots of church this afternoon and evening.  I went to Walmart to pick up some last minute Easter Bunny supplies.  The store was full of people on the same mission--get that last peanut butter bunny or Cadbury Creme Egg.  And that is the true meaning of Easter--chocolate fecundity.

Oh, yeah, and salvation.  Forgiveness.  But mostly, it's the chocolate.  Saint Marty needs a little Hershey extravagance.


No comments:

Post a Comment