Friday, November 25, 2016

November 25: Tranquility and Trembling, Satanic Politician, Blood Battles

I live in tranquility and trembling . . .

I had a day of tranquility and trembling, just like Dillard.  No work.  No teaching.  My wife had to work Black Friday, so she was up and gone by about 5 a.m.  I got to sleep in a little later than normal.  My son came into my bedroom at around 6:30 this morning.  I didn't let him actually get up until 7 a.m.

It was just the kids and me all day.  I made breakfast for my son, gave him his medication.  We watched a little television.  And I cleaned the house.  Vacuumed.  Swept.  Mopped.  Scrubbed the bathroom down.  Cleaned and organized the kitchen. 

Then we sat down and binged a few episodes of my favorite television series of all time--Kolchak:  The Night Stalker.  It was an afternoon of vampires, werewolves, evil spirits, and a satanic politician (not Donald Trump).  I also helped my daughter with her English homework.  My son decided to write his own myth, so I helped him with his list of gods (Greek, Roman, and made-up). 

We had a great day together.  No blood battles broke out between my kids.  In fact, my daughter made her brother lunch.  When my wife called around noon, she asked me how things were going.  She was worried that our son would miss her.  I told her the truth:  he hadn't mentioned her all morning long.

I haven't really felt this fulfilled in a really long time.  I loved being home, taking care of my children, doing housework.  Loved sitting next to my daughter on the couch, giving her suggestions for her essay.  Loved cleaning with my son--he did some of the mopping.  As I said, it was a day of tranquility and trembling.  I could happily be a stay-at-home dad.

Tonight, Saint Marty is thankful for a day with his son and daughter.  And a clean house.

Donald Trump praying

No comments:

Post a Comment