Monday, March 13, 2017

March 13: Poet of the Week, Mona Van Durn, "Letters from a Father"

Not a lot of time this evening to get all moon-eyed about poetry.  However, I have chosen former U. S. Poet Laureate Mona Van Duyn as Poet of the Week.

I am not really all that familiar with her work, but I came across the poem below, and I was sold.  The poem reminds me of my father, who is sometimes a difficult man.  I love him, but he tests the boundaries of that love.

Saint Marty is ready for a nap now.

Letters from a Father

by:  Mona Van Duyn

Ulcerated tooth keeps me awake, there is
such pain, would have to go to the hospital to have
it pulled or would bleed to death from the blood thinners,
but can't leave Mother, she falls and forgets her salve
and her tranquilizers, her ankles swell so and her bowels
are so bad, she almost had a stoppage and sometimes
what she passes is green as grass.There are big holes
in my thigh where my leg brace buckles the size of dimes.
My head pounds from the high pressure.It is awful
not to be able to get out, and I fell in the bathroom
and the girl could hardly get me up at all.
Sure thought my back was broken, it will be next time.
Prostate is bad and heart has given out,
feel bloated after supper. Have made my peace
because am just plain done for and have no doubt
that the Lord will come any day with my release.
You say you enjoy your feeder, I don't see why
you want to spend good money on grain for birds
and you say you have a hundred sparrows, I'd buy
poison and get rid of their diseases and turds.


No comments:

Post a Comment