Friday, March 17, 2017

March 17: Narnia, Mona Van Duyn, "Letter From a Father: V"

Another part of Mona Van Duyn's poem about a father.


Not much going on tonight.  I've decided to take down my Christmas tree.  Now, before you start judging me, please remember that I live in a place that resembles Narnia under the spell of the White Witch.  Christmas lasts until about the middle of April.  Sometimes into May.

Saint Marty is sad to see Christmas come to an end.  But, in six  months or so, he can put it back up.

Letter From a Father

by:  Mona Van Duyn

V.

Say, that book is sure good, I study
in it every day and enjoy our birds.
Some of them I can’t identify
for sure, I guess they’re females, the Latin words
I just skip over. Bet you’d never guess
the sparrow I’ve got here, House Sparrow you wrote,
but I have Fox Sparrows, Song Sparrows, Vesper Sparrows,
Pine Woods and Tree and Chipping and White Throat
and White Crowned Sparrows. I have six Cardinals,
three pairs, they come at early morning and night,
the males at the feeder and on the ground the females.
Juncos, maybe 25, they fight
for the ground, that’s what they used to call snowbirds. I miss
the Bluebirds since the weather warmed. Their breast
is the color of a good ripe muskmelon. Tufted Titmouse
is sort of blue with a little tiny crest.
And I have Flicker and Red-Bellied and Red-
Headed Woodpeckers, you would die laughing
to see Red-Bellied, he hangs on with his head
flat on the board, his tail braced up under,
wing out. And Dickcissel and Ruby Crowned Kinglet
and Nuthatch stands on his head and Veery on top
the color of a bird dog and Hermit Thrush with spot
on breast, Blue Jay so funny, he will hop
right on the backs of the other birds to get the grain.
We bought some sunflower seeds just for him.
And Purple Finch I bet you never seen,
color of a watermelon, sits on the rim
of the feeder with his streaky wife, and the squirrels,
you know, they are cute too, they sit tall
and eat with their little hands, they eat bucketfuls.
I pulled my own tooth, it didn’t bleed at all.


1 comment:

  1. Fresh snow on the ground this weekend, I think you're still a little early taking down the tree.

    ReplyDelete