Friday, June 16, 2017

June 16: Melancholy, Dorothy Parker, "Thought for a Sunshiny Morning"

Feeling a little melancholy this evening.

Most of my work day, I was calling patients to remind them about their cardiologist appointments.  It's a fairly mind-numbing task, but I do get to talk to some interesting people, sometimes.  Near the end of the day, I called a patient.  A woman answered.

"Hi, may I speak with John please," I said.

Pause.  "May I ask who's calling?"

"This is Marty calling from the cardiology office to remind John about his upcoming appointment."

Another pause.  "My father died in March."

I have moments like this every week or so.  It's terrible and can throw me into a pretty deep hole.  I'm in a pretty deep hole right now.

Saint Marty needs a sunshiny morning.

Thought for a Sunshiny Morning

by:  Dorothy Parker

It costs me never a stab nor squirm
To tread by chance upon a worm.
"Aha, my little dear," I say,
"Your clan will pay me back one day."


No comments:

Post a Comment