Wednesday, June 7, 2017

June 7: A Confession, Kazim Ali, "Prayer"

I have a confession:  recently, I haven't been praying a whole lot.

I don't know why or how it happened, but I have fallen out of the habit or prayer.  This bothers me quite a bit.  Prayer has a way of centering me.  Keeping me calm.  Focused.  Thankful.  Hopeful.  I just haven't been making it a huge priority for myself.

Don't get me wrong.  I still talk to God.  Driving home from the office.  Worrying about money or family or work or breakfast or the new season of American Horror Story.  I will send God a quick little mental e-mail:  "Help me, please."  That's it.

I need to refocus my life a little.  Find my prayer self again.

Saint Marty needs to get on his knees more.  (Keep your minds out of the gutter.)

Prayer

by:  Kazim Ali

Denuded and abandoned I recite
but what do I want

To rise again from the ocean
or be buried alive in the surge and sleep

To be a fearsome range in a single body
or to wind my unity down into depth

Missing in action, ghost-like
bobbing in the distance

Singing psalms to terrify myself
into deciding:

So long liberation

My time in the world was
only a gesture

My body a lonely
stranger

an ache
I never knew


No comments:

Post a Comment