Monday, July 10, 2017

July 10: Oliver-ish, Poet of the Week, Mary Oliver, "Poem of the One World"

I find myself turning to Mary Oliver this week.  I'm working on a new poem that, in some ways, is very Mary Oliver-ish.  That's probably why.

I have always admired Oliver's clear, spare language.  I will never write lines like her.  But I can still admire the beauty in her poetry.

Saint Marty needs to get back to work on his poem now, after this Mary Oliver break.

Poem of the One World

by:  Mary Oliver

This morning
the beautiful white heron
was floating along above the water

and then into the sky of this
the one world
we all belong to

where everything
sooner or later
is a part of everything else

which thought made me feel
for a little while
quite beautiful myself


No comments:

Post a Comment