Saturday, October 14, 2017

October 14: Wedding Anniversary, Joy Harjo, "This Is My Heart"

My wife and I are celebrating our 22nd wedding anniversary today.

We have had our struggles and dark times, that's for sure.  But we are here.  Together.  Loving each other.  Loving our kids.  Celebrating birthdays and Halloweens and Christmases.  Watching fireworks on Independence Day under the milk of stars.  Holding each other in times of grief.  Laughing together in times of joy.  Kissing each other at the end of each and every day.  For twenty-two years.

Saint Marty is thankful today for his beautiful wife.

This Is My Heart

by:  Joy Harjo

This is my heart.  It is a good heart.
Bones and a membrane of mist and fire
are the woven cover.
When we make love in the flower world
my heart is close enough to sing
to yours in a language that has no use
for clumsy human words.

My head, is a good head, but it is a hard head
and it whirrs inside with a swarm of worries.
What is the source of this singing, it asks
and if there is a source why can't I see it
right here, right now
as real as these hands hammering
the world together
with nails and sinews.

This is my soul.  It is a good soul.
It tells me, "Come here forgetful one."
And we sit together with lilt of small winds
who rattle the scrub oak.
We cook a little something
to eat, then a sip of something
sweet, for memory.

This is my song.  It is a good song.
It walked forever the border of fire and water
climbed ribs of desire to my lips to sing to you.
Its new wings quiver with vulnerability.
Come lie next to me, says my heart.
Put your head here.
It is a good thing, says my soul.


1 comment: