Friday, December 8, 2017

December 8: Explore the Moon, Hectic and Wonderful Week, Quiet Moments

There were barricades on the main roads leading into the ruins.  Germans were stopped there.  They were not permitted to explore the moon.

Welcome to the end of an incredibly hectic and wonderful week.  I sort of feel as though I've been wandering over the surface of the moon this week, not really exploring, but bouncing in a state of weightless energy.  Tuesday, my daughter's birthday.  Tuesday night, I hosted a benefit reading with some wonderful writers for a local canned food drive for area food pantries.  Wednesday night, teaching.  Thursday, the awards ceremony at the university where I received the Excellence in Part-Time Faculty Teaching Award.  Thursday evening, the monthly poetry workshop I facilitate.  Then this afternoon, I did some poetry with my nephew's fifth grade class.

I'm a little whipped.  At the moment, I am standing at the barricades of Friday, looking back over the last five days, wondering how I managed to survive.  I find myself physically weary, wanting to hibernate.  But my crazy life isn't going to slow down for a while.

I have about 3,250 pounds of grading to do.  On Sunday evening, my book club is meeting at my house.  I have to clean the house and cook something for that.  Next Thursday, I have a Christmas poetry reading at my hometown library.  Then, once I get through all that, I have a two-day gig at the Calumet Theater, recording a syndicated radio program, right before Christmas.

My life in a snapshot. 

I am not saying all this for sympathy.  I enjoy what I do.  Love reading poetry.  Performing poetry.  Workshopping poetry.  Love teaching, sharing what limited expertise I have.  However, the firestorm of events in these weeks has me feeling slightly overwhelmed.  I will get through it all.  I always do.  It's a matter of putting one foot in front of the other, grading one paper at a time, reading one poem and then the next.

So, those are my excuses for not posting last night.  Imagine that you're a German, standing at the barricades, staring at the lunar landscape of my life.

Saint Marty is thankful for some quiet moments tonight.


No comments:

Post a Comment